Last year, PROFAMILIA Colombia collected artwork from around the world for an International Day of No Violence Against Women. The collection was a part of the 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence and raised awareness about the right of women to live without the threat of gender-based...Read more
Damaging gossip, harsh stares, aggressive remarks, exile. These are just a few forms of stigma and discrimination regularly faced by people living with HIV. A growing body of evidence has shown that women living with HIV/AIDS often face an increased risk for gender-based violence. In partnership...Read more
Damaging gossip, harsh stares, aggressive remarks, exile. These are just a few forms of stigma and discrimination regularly faced by people living with HIV. A growing body of evidence has shown that women living with HIV/AIDS often face an increased risk for gender-based violence. In partnership...Read more
While the number of new HIV infections has stabilized in recent years, in many parts of the world, women and girls continue to bear a disproportionate burden of the pandemic. In the Caribbean, for example, women account for more than half of people living with HIV, and young women are twice as...Read more
While the number of new HIV infections has stabilized in recent years, in many parts of the world, women and girls continue to bear a disproportionate burden of the pandemic. In the Caribbean, for example, women account for more than half of people living with HIV, and young women are twice as...Read more
A big perk of my job is that I get to talk a lot about sex and sexuality education to a variety of audiences. When you ask the average person (someone who doesn’t talk about sex all day) what “sex ed” is, they probably think of the classic drawing of a uterus, explanations of where babies come from...Read more
During the course of my work supporting the expansion and strengthening of abortion services for young women in Latin America and the Caribbean, I have visited many countries where abortion is permitted in only limited circumstances. One such circumstance is when a woman is the victim of sexual...Read more
During the course of my work supporting the expansion and strengthening of abortion services for young women in Latin America and the Caribbean, I have visited many countries where abortion is permitted in only limited circumstances. One such circumstance is when a woman is the victim of sexual...Read more
“I have a strong character – when something bothers me, I have to say [something].” said Sugeri. “At home I wasn’t able to speak up. And I knew I wouldn’t be able to get out of there on my own.” Home should be a place where everyone feels safe from harm, where family members feel comfortable...Read more
Gender-based violence includes any act or threat of physical, sexual, or psychological aggression against a woman. According to the World Health Organization, 1 out of every 4 women reports having been subjected to gender-based violence by an intimate partner. Considering the harmful effects it can...Read more